- To evolve and coordinate a multidisciplinary, multilocational applied research and testing programme for wheat and barley improvement at the national level.
- To identify improved wheat and barley varieties combining high yield with superior grain quality, resistance to diseases and insect pests and adaptability over a wide range of cultural practices such as sowing time, fertilizer levels and water management etc.
- To develop wheat and barley production and protection technologies and monitor crop situation.
- To enrich genetic variability at each of the breeding centres by way of supply of diverse germplasm obtained from various exotic sources and developed through indigenous efforts.
- To monitor the progress of work of all centres cooperating in the AICW&BIP programmes and integrates their activities to the best advantage of the country.
- To collaborate with national and international agencies and to organize scientific training programmes involving national and international agencies.
- To organize breeder seed production programmes and monitor their quality.
- To help in the organization and monitoring of frontline demonstrations and extension education programmes for proper transfer of improved technologies.
- To hold annual wheat workers’ meeting and zonal meetings.